Tuesday, March 28, 2017

~The Princess~ {By Erica}




Hey Everyone! 

Erica won a writing challenge I had a couple months ago, and some computer difficulties got in my way. I am now posting her story! (Sorry Erica!) 

I hope you enjoy it! Let me and Erica know what you think in the comments. :) 



1762
                Edith walked out of the cottage and into the village. She could tell from the sky that it was about to pour down rain. Thunder boomed threateningly in the sky. She could feel the wind whipping her long tousled hair around her, daring her to come out into the danger. She had to hurry though, if she didn’t get the freshly washed linens to Mrs. Carlyle, she would lose her job. She ran down the dirt road, clutching her basket, hoping against hope that the clouds would wait until she had made the delivery, her dress flying all the way. She was out of breath, and the first drops of rain were beginning to fall as she got to her employer’s red brick house.
                “Ah, you. You’re late.” Mrs. Berny said as Edith made it to the side door. Mrs. Berny was the crotchety old housekeeper who never wasted a word unless it was to criticize. Edith nodded penitently, waiting for her pay. Mrs. Berny reluctantly handed Edith her meager pay. Edith was one of many poor villagers in the town next to the coal mine. Though she was young, she had troubles still the same. She knew she had to help earn money for her family since her father’s pay from the mine was greatly reduced by his own purchases of foul drink, and her mother was too weak to work. Edith and her sister worked, Edith the washing, and her sister, Anna mending, while her two brothers Edward and Will worked in the mines. Edith was the youngest of these four, and her four younger siblings stayed at home tending to mother and the home. Edith was seventeen. As Edith walked away into the rain, she looked back see someone watching her from the window, but on seeing he was discovered, he stepped away, letting the curtain fall. Edith knew who that was. It sent a chill down her spine. Henry Carlyle, the rebellious son of the owner of the coal mine, John Carlyle. Henry had been a worry of Edith’s for quite some time. Since they were children, he had picked on all the village children because very few of them were willing to put their fathers’ jobs on the line by fighting Mr. Carlyle’s bratty son, but as they all grew older, and every day, Edith the more beautiful, Henry began paying Edith more unwanted attention than before. Edith was afraid of a messy situation if Henry were ever to take it into his head to marry her. There was nowhere to go, it seemed as if life in the little town in England was a constant cycle of scrabbling for enough money to survive. A cycle few could escape from.
                As Edith ran the way home through the howling storm, she became aware of a person ahead of her. She couldn’t tell who it was, but she did sense something was quite wrong. They were on a muddy, slippery section of the road that had two deep wide ditches on either side A gravely, dirty slope was on the edges of the path, making a very nasty decent in this storm, if someone were to fall. Suddenly, the person in front of Edith did just that. With a yell, the form went down. Edith ran to the edge of the road.
                “Grab my hand, I’ll help you out!” She knelt down in the mud, and extended her hand down to give the person something to hold to as he struggled up the pebbly accent. With much effort, the young man was able to scramble back up to the road.
                “Thank you.” He panted. Edith was gasping to recover her breath, sitting in the water and mud. The young man rose to his feet and held out his hand this time to help Edith stand.
                “I’m grateful you saw my fall, otherwise I might have stayed down there quite a while.” Edith looked up into his face and even though it was through the rain, the young man was startled by the beauty of his rescuer.
                “Who are you?” He asked.
                “I’m Edith Pendleton.” Edit answered. “Who are you? You are not from this town.”
                “No. I’m Philip.” He said.
                “Do you have a place to stay out of this storm?” Edith said as a clap of thunder shook the earth. Philip shook his head.
                “No, I’ve been traveling for some time, and I had hoped to find something here.”
                “You must come with me, we’ll at least have a roof over your head, you’ll kill yourself if you stay the night out here.” Edith said.
                Once they were back at the cottage, night was falling, and the rest of her family was already home. All except father.
                “I’m home.” Edith called.
                “Edith!” Anna said as she jumped up to greet her sister. “You little imp! We were all worried for you. What has happened to you? You’re a mess, and who is this?” Anna said, hardly taking a breath between sentences.
                “This is Philip, he fell in the ditch and I helped him out.” Edith answered. Once she could see the two of them, she found that they were both completely soaked, and both were filthy.
                “Edith.” Her mother called from her bed on the other end of the room. Edith came to her mother’s side.
                “You’re father, is he home?” Mother said softly and huskily.
                “No.” Edith said. Edith’s mother took her hand nervously and said,
                “Edith, I want you to be very careful of your father.”
                “What?” Edith asked in shock.
                “Your father came home drunk late last night after everyone was asleep, and he said something about you. Something about ‘Edith’s fate’, and he said something that I couldn’t hear, but the look on his face gave me an unsettled feeling. I couldn’t sleep at all last night.” Her mother said. Edith looked concerned and worried.
                “What do you think that means?” Edith asked.
                “I don’t know.” Her mother said. “But whatever happens, know that the Lord is watching over you.”
                                                                                                ~~~~~~
                Edith took Philip to inhabit the small barn where the milking cow, goat and a few chickens called home for the night.
                “Why have you come to our little town?” Edith asked Philip once they were both under the shelter of the meager barn.
                “I came to start work in the mine. I decided it was time to lessen the amount of mouths to feed back home and earn my own way.” Philip answered
                “I understand.” Edith said.
                “Does your family work in the mine?” Philip asked. Edith nodded
                “My father and two of my brothers. Even Anna and I work doing laundry for the Mrs. Carlyle, the mine owner’s wife. That’s why we don’t work in the mines ourselves. Mother couldn’t bear to see us work them.” Edith said. Edith left Philip in the barn, and went back to the house.
                The next morning dawned grey and Edith’s older brothers took Philip to work in the mines. They would also help him find a place to stay, somewhere where he couldn’t get under Father’s feet. Edith worked doing the laundry again, feeling unsettled inside about what her father might be scheming. It wouldn’t be long before she found out. That evening after she had delivered the laundry, she had walked but a moment towards home when she heard someone approaching.
                “Hello, Edith.” Henry said, giving her an annoying sort of grin. Edith tried to greet him and move on but Henry was intent of conversation.
                “I have something to talk to you about.” He said, detaining her by grabbing her arm.
                “What is it? Please be quick I have to go.” Edith said determinedly, even though she was trembling on the inside.
                “What’s the rush? I heard you took time during the storm last night to pay attention to a stranger.” Henry prodded. Edith was trying hard to keep her voice steady.
                “He fell and could have been in there all night if I didn’t help him out. How you know about that, I don’t know, but I wish you would hurry up and make your point.” She said.
                “I make it my business to know more about you than you know.” Henry said. Edith had been feeling her internal temperature of temper rise steadily during this exchange, but something in his tone froze her. What was that supposed to mean?
                “Well, then,” She said. “You should know I’m busy and have to get back to my mother.” Edith started forward, trying to get away from him completely, but this time he grabbed both of her arms from behind her and said tyrannically,
                “One of these days, you won’t be able to do that you know.” Edith struggled to get away crying out,
                “Let go of me, or I’m going to-“But she didn’t have to finish.
                “Let go of her.” A voice said. Both stopped and stood still.
                “Oh, are you coming to her rescue now?” Henry said rudely. Edith looked up. Philp was dirty and tired from his day at the mine, but his commanding presence was like that of a warrior.
                “You shouldn’t treat any girl like that.” Philip answered. Henry, who wanted to avoid a situation that might hurt him pushed Edith away and left, giving Philip a challenging scowl.
                “I’m sorry.” Edith said, her cheeks hot, and her face downcast, trying not to let Philip see the tears behind her dark lashes.
                “You don’t need to be sorry, I saw what happened.” Philip answered. Edith didn’t say anything, but she was more hurt and scared on the inside than she was on the outside.
                “Who is that?” Philip asked.
                “That’s Henry, Mr. Carlyle’s son.” Edith said, leaving off an accurate description at the end.
                “And a spoiled brat?” Philip asked, finishing Edith’s sentence for her. Edith laughed nervously and said,
                “Yes, that would be correct.” She composed herself then shivered.
                “Is there something wrong?” Philip asked genuinely. Edith first shook her head no, and then yes.
                “I’m afraid between him and my father, there’s something strange going on. I’m afraid they might try to-“Edith couldn’t finish her sentence. Philip, who at 20 was already a very perceptive person, didn’t need a finished explanation.
                “I’ll pray that never happens.” Philip said. Edith nodded. She was too.
                                                                                                ~~~~~~~
                That night Philip slept in the barn again. The boys had found nowhere for him to stay. He stayed there for a couple of weeks, and he always made sure to stay with Edith as she walked home after delivering laundry, wanting to keep her from any sort of trouble. One night though, Mrs. Pendleton had him stay in the barn through the meal, even though he was welcome at the table. Mr. Pendleton had come home early that day. At supper that night, Mr. Pendleton was there, and called for Edith at the table. He had an announcement.
                “Well, Edith,” He said. Edith’s heart fluttered. “You’re a big girl now, and you’re going to be married.” Edith went white, and her mother, who at her bed heard the words groaned.
                “What?” Edith gasped.
                “Mr. Carlyle’s boy has asked for your hand, and I have said yes.” Father said as if it were a good thing. Edith’s pale face was in shock.
                “No, I can’t do that.” Edith said faintly. Her father glared at her.
                “You have no choice.” He growled at her. “If you don’t marry him, I’ll lose my job, so marry him you must.” Edith sat perfectly still for a moment, then jumped up and ran from the table. She ran into the village, and then to the woods. She finally stopped when she was in the dark and alone. She cried until she could weep no more. It was late when she crept back into her own bed that night. It was an unrestful sleep filled with nightmares.
                Edith woke pale and silent the next morning. She worked silently, praying for help and that she would be spared the terrible fate. That evening Philip walked Edith back to the cottage to make sure that Henry would cause her no trouble.
                “Philip, I’m praying, and I prayed, but I’m so afraid that I’m going to have to marry him. Why isn’t God doing something to help me?” Edith said, trying not to let her voice break.
                “Sometimes God tests us, and we can’t see what he has in store for our lives. Even though things may look dark, we have to trust that we have a hope for our future because he has a plan for us.” Philip answered. Edith nodded, trying not to let Philip see her tears.
                “It’s hard to trust when I’m so afraid.” Edith said.
                “I know. I know that he has a plan for each of our lives and it’s almost like we are to put our hands in his and let him lead us. If he wants to spare you this trial, he’ll show the way. And Edith, know this. If there is any way I can help, I will do what I have to do to save you.” Philip replied. Edith felt strengthened, having felt someone else help her bear her load.
                That night, Edith went to her mother’s bedside.
                “Edith.” Her mother whispered hoarsely.
                “Yes?” Edith answered. Her mother had a fever, and Edith was afraid for her mother. Her brow was hot and slick with perspiration. Her grey eyes were glassy and bright.
                “Edith, I won’t have you married to that man. As a Christian woman, your life would be misery.” Mother said. Edith held her mother’s hand, frightened by its unnatural heat.
                “I want you to get away. Somehow, you have to run away.” Her mother said, her voice so desperate and low that it wracked Edith’s heart with fear for her mother’s life.
                “But Mother, you need me here, and what about the others, and Father’s job?” Edith answered almost tearfully. Her mother smiled a sad sort of smile that smote Edith’s heart once more.
                “I’m not going to be here much longer, dear girl. The others will be alright, and your father, he drinks most of his money up. I will not have you sacrificed to his sin.” Mother said firmly and sorrowfully. Edith leaned her head on her mother’s bed and wept, her body shaking with silent sobs.
                “Shh, my child shh. You must go soon, and when you do, remember your mother who loved you to the end.” Mother said tenderly.
                The next day Edith felt something a stir in her when Philip walked her home. He was unnaturally quiet and thoughtful. Edith herself was quiet, but she wondered about the change in Philip.
                “Last night my mother told me I have to run away.” Edith said finally. Philip looked at her questioningly.
                “What?” He asked, unsure if he had heard Edith correctly.
                “My mother wants me to run away so that I don’t have to go through with this.” Edith said. Philip looked down then up again.
                “It’s not as easy as it sounds you know.” He said. Edith was shocked.
                “You don’t think I could do it? I’d rather die trying than marry Henry.” Edith replied. Philip didn’t meet Edith’s gaze
                “No, I know you would, but to start over, a girl like you, on your own with no money would be very hard.” Philip answered. Edith looked down at her own feet.
                “I know. What do you think I should do?” Edith said softly. Philip kept his gaze averted for a moment more. Then he said,
                “I don’t think you should run away alone.” Edith’s heart fluttered. What did that mean? She stopped walking, and so did he. He looked into her questioning face as she asked,
                “Who do you think should go with me then?” Philip took her hand and said,
                “I would, if you would let me.” Edith was utterly silent, and her face was blushing. She cast down her eyes, her dark lashes veiling her thoughts. Then she looked up again and said,        
                “We haven’t known each other very long.” Philip nodded but then said,
                “I have prayed for years that God would show me his purpose for my life, and I believe that he wants our lives to be together. I see that you love him, and have served your family, and I believe that we could glorify the Lord together for years to come. I don’t want to see you married to an idiot like Carlyle.” Edith looked up, and smiled.
                “Yes, Philip, I’ll go with you.” Philip’s face broke out in a broad grin, and he picked Edith up and twirled her around. When he set her back down, Edith laid her head on his shoulder, feeling safe.
                The next day dawned colder than the past week, and it was over cast and grey. Near noon, Edith began to feel a nervousness she couldn’t explain, as if something very bad was about to happen. Suddenly, her brother, Will ran in through the door.
                “Edith!” he said, panting for breath. Edith whirled around in surprise.
                “Will? What’s wrong?” Edith asked.
                “It’s Philip and Edward. There was a cave in, a huge section of the mine was blocked off. They’re both back there.” Will said. The words stopped Edith’s heart for a moment. She stared in disbelief and horror for a moment, then she raced out the door, headed for the mine, Will following close behind.
                “How long ago?” Edith was asking one of the men at the mine.
                “There was a loud noise, and rocks were falling and the whole roof seemed to be collapsing. A whole lot of them are back there. Only a few men and Mr. Carlyle’s boy got out.” Edith caught onto this last bit. She bolted around and raced back towards the Carlyle’s house.
                “Henry!” Edith yelled, banging on the door. Henry came around the side of the house and said,
                “I though you would be here soon.” Edith turned toward him, full of righteous anger.
                “It was you wasn’t it?” She said fiercely. “You might have just killed my brother and friend out of jealousy? What have you done?” Edith cried. Henry gave a wry grin and said,
                “I saw what went on between you and him yesterday. I’m going to do what I have to do.” Edith was speechless for a moment. Then she drew herself up and said,
                “I pray you’ll come to peace with God in this life, or you will perhaps stand before him with the blood of innocent men on your hands in the next.” Henry seemed a bit taken aback at first, but he didn’t let this daunt him long.
                “Preaching is for vicars, Edith. Let it alone and let’s start planning our wedding shall we?” Henry said giving Edith chills. Edith turned and fled, and he would have followed her if it hadn’t been that Will had come up at just that moment.
                “Good bye, Edith.” Henry taunted. “Remember what I said the other day. Someday you won’t be able to do that.” Edith ignored him as she raced back to the mine.
                Edith descended in a shaky basket hung by a rope down into the darkness of the mine. It was humid and cold. She wished she had a shawl to hang around her arms, but she would not come back out into the light until she knew the worst.
                “Where are they?” She asked Will. Will held a lantern, and Edith had a candle she had found in her pocket. Will pointed to a tunnel that looked as if it were made of the blackest pitch. Edith took a trembling breath, and walked steadily into the tunnel. Will and a few other men followed her. It wasn’t long until they came upon a huge pile of rocks.
                “They’re behind all this?” Edith asked.
                “Yes, or under it.” A man said.
                “Is there another way back?” Edith asked.
                “Yes.” Will said.
                “What?” Another miner said.
                “Yes, but it’s perilous.” Will said.
                “Show us the way.” Edith said resolutely.
                Will led the way back into a tunnel that was covered in loose rock and dirt.
                “What is wrong here?” Edith asked.
                “Shh, try not to say much.” Will instructed. “The noise could bring the rock down on us. That’s the reason that we don’t come back here. It’s too unstable.” They walked along in complete silence until they came upon a place where rocks had been stacked up to build a wall.
                “We have to pull this down.” Will said. They all hacked into it, trying to make as little noise as possible. Edith couldn’t help but notice that if a rock was set down too loudly, little streams of dust filtered down into the tunnel. Finally, the way was made through. They slipped into the next passage. After a short time, they came upon some light.
                “Hello?” Edith said faintly. Men began to jump up and all knowing the importance of keeping quiet, they kept their voices down. Edith ran through the men, looking for Edward and Philip. Finally she saw them. Edward kneeling over Philip, and Philip laying on the ground. Edith rushed to their sides.
                “What happened?” Edith gasped. Blood ran red upon Philip’s face.
                “I got hit by a falling rock. How did you get in here?” Phillip said quietly, holding out his hand to her. Edith took it and helped him up.
                “We need to get you out of here.” She said. Edward and Edith helped Philip walk through the passage with the rest, all noting the little streams of falling dust were coming down more and more frequently.
                “Men, I think-“Will began quietly, but there was no time. The roof was beginning to shake.
                “Run!” Will commanded. All raced forward, Edith trying to keep Phillip from tripping. The rocks began to fall with the ever dropping dirt. The tunnel was shaking and they all knew it was about to collapse onto them. They suddenly could see the exit. Behind them the deafening sound of tumbling rocks began to echo, sending a last burst for freedom into them all. They saw the rocks get bigger and bigger as they raced for the end, raced for life. Finally as the cave in dropped the deadly stone that was once above them, they made it out. Many dropped to their knees in exhaustion. Edith helped Philip lie back down.
                “Philip, you’re going to be alright.” Edith said, gently fingering the wound to see how bad it was.  The exertion had caused the wound to start bleeding again. He looked up at her.
                “When I first saw you coming, I thought you were an angle.”  Tears sprang into Edith’s eyes.
                “Philip, you’re going to be alright.” Philip took her hand and said,
                “Trust the Lord, he loves you even more than I do.” Edith leaned forward, pressing Philip’s hand to her face, and letting the tears fall freely. She prayed harder than she had ever prayed before. Suddenly, she felt at peace, realizing something. In the darkness, she knew that her life and that of the man she loved were in the hand of a Heavenly Father who would take care of them both. They were safe.
~~~~~~~~
                About a month later, Edith stood in a small chapel, bright spring flowers adorning her long dark hair. Philip stood beside her, his hand in hers. They looked at each other and smiled, then looked back at the vicar who was reading from his long used black Bible.
                “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” He looked up at the two of them, and asked them both to repeat the sacred vows that would weave the rest of their lives together unbreakably. As soon as they were spoken, the vicar said,
                “You may kiss the bride.” Philip stooped low and kissed the girl, for now the two were wed. Edith looked up into Philip’s beaming face, and smiled. The bell in the church tower was ringing, and the people were clapping and cheering. The Lord had brought them through the dark, and now they stood here, hand in hand with each other, and with another. The two knew that for the rest of their lives, they must keep their hands held tightly with the Lord’s as they walked through life. They both knew that there would be times of darkness and uncertainty, but for now, Edith knew that the Lord had blessed her. The dark clouds had rolled back for a time, and the sun was shining through the stained glass window, as if their Heavenly Father was smiling upon them.

2 comments:

I l-o-v-e comments, so please don't hesitate to do so!! But, I will not approve of your comment unless it follows the verse, Philippians 4:8 which is the basis for this blog.

I will not approve comments that use vulgar, rude, or condescending language, and I will not approve comments that do not make sense or continue a debate/argument through comments.

Thanks!! I appreciate your feedback!