Thursday, March 30, 2017

The Socialization Myth of Homeschoolers


I sat in the dentist office waiting for the nurse to call my name. My other siblings and mom had already gone back, I was the only one waiting. Some PBS children's show was playing on the TV, and the colorful Dr. Suess wallpaper brightened the room. I think I might have been reading my current chapter book for school.

A younger boy and his mother came and sat in the chairs beside and opposite me, and I noticed that he had braces. Since I was going to be getting them soon, I inquired about them and learned about what would be going on in my mouth. :)

Soon, the boy was called back and I continued having a conversation with his mom. She was single and was talking about how hard school was for her son, and so on. I can't remember how it happened, but it came across that I was homeschooled.

This is something that I'm not ashamed of, and I actually love to proudly say that my mom's my teacher and that I am in several different grades. (I had trouble, especially when I little, telling strangers what grade I was in. I would glance at my mom with questioning eyes. She taught us just to say that, "I'm homeschooled!")

The lady, who was very nice, politely asked me how I socialized. I bit my tongue to keep from saying "What am I doing right now? Isn't it obvious??"

I told her about the various activities my family was involved in from music to ALERT Cadets and BRIGHT Lights. She was genuinely oblivious to the fact that I was socializing with her and her son right before her eyes!

I was soon called back and on the way home I told my mom about the situation which has made my family laugh ever since then!

It is truly a myth that homeschoolers are "unsocialized." I have so many friends that I don't think I can count them. I don't mind going up to a stranger and witnessing to them. I don't even mind speaking in front of a crowd!

It is mind boggling that people truly think that homeschoolers don't have opportunities to socialize.I actually think that I have more opportunities.

I am thankful to be homeschooled and am so grateful that my mother is my teacher! I love to joke with my friends about things that only homeschoolers can joke about. :)

If someone is to ask me again about socialization, I will nicely tell them that I have a l-o-t of ways to spend time with others.

I'm homeschooled and am so proud of it!

His Handmaiden,
B.M. ❤❤❤❤❤

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha!!! SO TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One thing about homeschoolers that I've learned, is that we seem to learn to socialize on more than one level. We learn that people a few years younger or older can become our best friends, and we can enjoy socializing with just about anybody! Not just our Cellular Tellaphones!!! ;) I remember when I was twelve, sitting on an airplane, and talking to an older lady I had never met as if she went to church with me and I felt completely normal. One more thing, when you are forced to have school with your siblings, many blessings occur if you do the right thing. First of all, my mom has said if I have heard if you can get along with your siblings, you can get along with anybody. ;) School of learning kindness, humility, and many other Christ-like virtues. Another benefit, my siblings a have become my best friends. Why would I want to be stuck in a class room with who knows who?? Another nice thing about being homeschooled is that we have the freedom to take a vacation in the middle of the school year!!! Just this week we spent our morning exploring a castle with some good friends. Tomorrow I'm going to take a CLEP test and if I pass, I'm done with history for good. Please be praying!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Homeschooling is the greatest. :) I will be praying your test goes well!

      Delete
  2. Haha!! I love being Homeschooled. Great post, B.M.!

    ReplyDelete

I l-o-v-e comments, so please don't hesitate to do so!! But, I will not approve of your comment unless it follows the verse, Philippians 4:8 which is the basis for this blog.

I will not approve comments that use vulgar, rude, or condescending language, and I will not approve comments that do not make sense or continue a debate/argument through comments.

Thanks!! I appreciate your feedback!